Jing Yu Koh
I am a first year PhD student in the Machine Learning Department at Carnegie Mellon University. I am advised by Daniel Fried and Ruslan Salakhutdinov. I work on grounded language understanding, usually in the context of vision-and-language problems.
Prior to this, I was a Research Engineer (and previously an AI Resident) at Google Research, where I worked on vision-and-language problems and generative models. I completed my undergraduate studies at the Singapore University of Technology and Design summa cum laude (highest honors) in 2019.
My first name is "Jing Yu" and informally I go by the nickname "JY". I'm from Singapore.
- (Feb - Mar 2023) Gave an invited talk at Microsoft Research, Apple AI/ML, Georgia Tech, and the London ML Meetup (recording, slides).
- (Jan 2023) New preprint! We ground LLMs to enable multimodal processing and generation.
- (Dec 2022) I made a bet on LLM capabilities with my office mate Ben Chugg. Bubble tea is on the line.
- (Dec 2022) 1 paper accepted to AAAI 2023.
- (Nov 2022) Parti was accepted to TMLR with a Featured Certification!
- (Oct 2022) In the spirit of paying it forward, I'm sharing my Statement of Purpose publicly. Hope it helps future applicants!
- (July 2022) After 2.73 wonderful years at Google, I've left to pursue my PhD at Carnegie Mellon University!
- (January 2022) 1 paper accepted to ICLR 2022!
- (December 2021) Serving as a reviewer for CVPR 2022.
- (July 2021) 1 paper accepted to ICCV 2021!
- (July 2021) Presenting an invited talk at Microsoft Research.
- (July 2021) Serving as a reviewer for NeurIPS 2021.
- (March 2021) 1 paper accepted to CVPR 2021!
- (January 2021) 1 paper accepted to ICLR 2021!
- (October 2020) 1 paper accepted to WACV 2021!
- (July 2020) 1 paper accepted to ECCV 2020!
- (October 2019) Officially joined Google Research in Mountain View, California.
Selected Publications [Google Scholar]
Vector-quantized Image Modeling with Improved VQGAN
In The International Conference on Learning Representations (ICLR), 2022.
SideInfNet: A Deep Neural Network for Semi-Automatic Semantic Segmentation with Side Information
In The European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV), 2020.
Model Zoo curates pre-trained deep learning models and code, making it easy for researchers to find models for various frameworks.
The CNY Yusheng app is a reference app designed to help you learn more about unique Chinese New Year traditions and the yusheng dish.
Castle-defense strategy game for iOS. Permanent death and level randomisation make no two games alike.